Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Adventures in Denver




Yet another spoke on the job interview wheel....

The day from hell (DFH) started before the actual day of the interview even began. My mind was racing and I just could not go to sleep. It's understandable, but befor all my other interviews, I slept great.

The second part of DFH was getting to the airport in Durango, CO. To say it's in the middle of nowhere is putting a nice spin on it, it's really much more than that, it's in the middle of...... um.... something further than nowhere. I've been there before, the route is poorly signed. I decided to rely on the Tom-Tom, but of course that failed as well. It turned me off the highway three times before the actual turn.

Eventually, I found the airport. But naturally, there decided to be a snowstorm that day in Denver and my flight out was delayed by an hour. There wasn't really a set time for the interview, just whenever I got there, but still, it was just another bullshit hassle. About the time, however, I realized that the delay is actually a good thing (less time at the actual interview), we took off.

The weather in Denver held up for the flight, but, of course, it started snowing when I landed and the car rental place was packed. I've never been to Denver before, so not only did I have to navigate through a huge city I've never been in, but I also had to do it with snow and ice on the ground, in a rental car. Great, right? And of course the interview was nowhere close to the Denver airport and all the way across town.

Then, of course, there is the interview process itself. It was an odd mix of formal questions and informal chit-chat. If I were an interviewer, I'd find the informal stuff much more enlightening. Frankly, the formal stuff is bullshit. It's basically the same questions over and over again and if you do it often enough, it's re-gurgitated and practiced. Not a lot you can learn from that. But overall, I think they had a good process because there was plenty of informal stuff.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful but I was hella tired by the time I got home.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.