Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weight

With cancer, people tend to see dramatic weight loss as a common side effect, either of the cancer itself or the treatment. It is often the case, however, that weight gain can be the bigger problem. That's certainly true in my case. When I started chemo, I was around 210-213 pounds. Now, I'm 230.

The steroids are a major, if not main cause of the weight gain. But there's also the fact that I haven't worked out since July, when this whole ordeal started. Whatever the cause, my body has been trashed by this whole cancer experience and let's face it, it wasn't that great to begin with.

When I was in my senior year of high school, I managed to get fed up enough with my weight that I dropped close to 50 pounds. In those years since, my weight has slowly started to creep back up. My weight when I started back then? 230 pounds. Rather symbolic, don't you think? Every now and then I try and re-create what I did back then in hopes of regaining my weight loss glory, but to no avail. The time is now, however, for me to really start working on my body in a serious way again.

I have this pesky little port in my chest, and I'm afraid to lift with it in. That thing should be out by mid-November and I can start doing some of my old workouts again. Until then, I'll probably just hit the elliptical runner we have here at the house.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.