Saturday, January 16, 2010

Least Favorite Movies of the Year

Last week I wrote about my favorites, now here are my least favorites from last year:

G.I. Joe

You may be able to make the argument that this movie was just supposed to be big, stupid, fun, and I was almost there, but in the end, I just couldn't call it that. G.I. Joe was just a little too dopey. And yet again, Hollywood pisses on another one of my beloved childhood institutions.

Let me briefly explain what I call the "Monument Complex". Any movie that has a major world monument, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Sears Tower, Great Pyramids, etc, destroyed, it's in serious trouble. G.I. Joe had the Effiel Tower destroyed, so... yeah.

The Soloist

But I think much more wrath needs to be thrust upon The Soloist than about any other move for the sole reason that it actually tried to be a serious movie. The problem, in fact, is that it tried too hard. There was waaaaaaay too much going on here and tried to be about so many things that it ended up being about nothing. Was it a biopic about Nathaniel Ayers? Steve Lopez? A lament about the fall of the newspaper industry? About homelessness? Drug abuse? Mental illness? It was beyond perplexing. The closing words about homlessness in America was really the tops. Was this supposed to be some sort of infomercial?

Bruno

This one was profoundly disappointing considering that I liked Borat so much. This movie suffered from two flaws: first, the characters come from different places. Yes, Borat was offensive, but that's due to his backward upbringing and comes simply from naivety. He may not know our ways, but he was seemingly good hearted. Bruno, however, coming from a more "modern" society, is just a douche bag with no likable qualities. Second, you can' really do a movie like Borat again. Part of the genius is that it had never been done and exposed American's racial and political attitudes in a unique way. What was left for Bruno to explain? It had all been done.

Antichrist

Just vile trash. It's been months since I've seen it but I still can't get some of the images out of my head.


I have more, but I'll stop there for now....

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.