Thursday, February 25, 2010

With Friends Like These....

I've been stewing over something for a few days weeks now and I wasn't sure if I should write about it or not. It's royally stupid, yet, has been on my mind, so I'll just go ahead and do it.

I feel incredibly insulted. It started when one of my friends made a remark on Facebook about cheap Chinese knock-off jewelry, to which I replied that she should stop being racist towards Chinese people. Funny, right? Eh, maybe not, but not serious.

I sensed that she might have been offended by my lame attempt at humor so I sent her a message on Facebook explaining myself. Seeming like a reasonable thing to do, right? Silence for several days. I sent a text doing the same thing. Still, silence. It's not a huge huge thing, but I don't like the feeling that I've insulted people when I didn't mean to, especially friends.

Flash forward a few days. Still nothing. Then, however, I see a status message written by her complaining of clingy friends. I figured that she couldn't possibly have meant me. Turns out that she did. I don't know, but it seems like Facebook status is a really awful way of dealing with a problem you have with somebody who might actually read it. Am I wrong?

Flash forward a few more days.

We had a chat and I assumed everything was worked out. The next day I found myself deleted from her friends list. She said not to take offense and that she was deleting a lot of people because some people just write too much stuff to read*. As it turns out, though, I was the only one of our 20 or so mutual friends that was deleted. Some of these people write and comment on her status messages just as often as I do.

I felt really singled out. Yeah, it's Facebook and yeah, it is definitely stupid, but I found it very, very insulting. Am I wrong?

* This is an extremely lame excuse. If you think somebody posts too much, you just don't have to read it. But hey, whatever, I let it slide. And now she gets busy commenting on status messages of other people... dang, good thing SHE isn't clingy, eh?

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.