Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Farewell Old Friend

After much though and lots of stalling, I think I have finally reached a conclusion... my days at Hastings are done. I've been mulling over quitting for several days now, and while I ultimately knew what needed to be done, I've had a hard time making the decision. Part of me feels bad about doing it because my old boss when out of his way a bit to get a transfer to a new store and the store director down here kind of had to squeeze me in, but I really don't see the alternative anymore. I can't keep up the pace of doing the RA job, school and Hastings. I don't have it in me. 

The fact that so many people went out of their way for me is certainly the main reason as to why it was a hard decision, but there are certainly others: first, my old store director seemed to think very highly of my leadership ability and not-so-subtly hinted that I could management material with the company. Nobody every spoke that highly of my ability before and it kind of stuck with me. Part of me thinks that by leaving, I could be giving up a big opportunity. But then I get back to reality, particularly my life in this current store, and realize that I'm not so great and even if I did have a shot at management, it would be further down the road than I'm perhaps willing to stick with. 

Second, the company was good to me, very good to me when I was sick and could only do a scattered work schedule. Because of this, I guess I feel a certain loyalty to it.  But again, snapping back to reality, perhaps it wasn't really the company that was good to me, rather, my old store director and my loyalty is really directed towards him and not Hastings in general. 

So, all-in-all, when I step back and look at the big picture, its not really Hastings that I will miss, rather, that one particular Hastings in Farmington, NM where I felt welcomed, where people respected my ability and where my boss liked having me around. I'm not so sure that it is so much the case anymore.

But I guess its on to bigger and better things.

But then I wake up and realize that it wasn't really 

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.