Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Good Bye for Real

I wrote a post, exactly two weeks ago from today, that I was going to be quitting my job at Hastings. What you guys should know, however, was that post was a partial lie. At the time it was, anyway. I wasn't really quitting Hastings at that time, rather, just taking a leave-of-absence while I sorted things out and let the two sides of my brain, the practical and the emotional, duke it out before I decided for sure.

Yesterday, however, I decided that I have stalled long enough. I gathered all the courage I could muster, and, as nicely as possible, walked in there and quit. I don't want to burn that bridge entirely, so I said that I would be interested in re-hire, but at the moment, I don't really know when or if I will be back.

Note that I used the word "stalled". It really was just that. I had made the decision in my mind that I was going to quit on the 10th, but I just didn't do anything about it until yesterday. The reason it took so long is simple: I still have an emotional attachment with that company. Some of the most interesting times of my life were spent there and the vast majority of my current friends were made while working there.

It's funny, however, in this instance that the practical reasons ended up outweighing the emotional ones. With me, it's usually just the opposite. From a time stand point, it didn't make sense to keep the job, from a financial stand point it didn't make sense to keep it and from a physical stand point, it didn't make sense to keep it either.

These two conflicting sides of the brain, the practical side that clearly favored me quitting and the emotional side that wanted to stay did fierce battle. Like I said, the practical side doesn't usually win, but I think it had some help with the fact that my emotional side was somewhat conflicted and not at full strength. Emotionally, I also had reasons for quitting. The people I was attached to and the job I liked were 400 miles away. Basically, I knew the good ol days of me and Hastings were over.

Maybe it takes a biased and strengthened practical side for it to finally win out, but all-in-all, it is for the best.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.