Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday August 24


When I was on the elliptical runner this morning I happened to catch a quick diet segment where they were discussing the Time article I mentioned a week or so ago that so thoroughly annoyed me, the one that said it might be a myth that exercise is important in weight loss. My contention was, due to the lack of any discussion on metabolism, the article was crap. Thankfully, the Today show contributors seemed to agree with me for the reasons that I stated. Not much, but I would be lying if I said I didn't get at least a little bit of smug satisfaction out of it. They also mentioned something else, something that I already knew but needed to hear again, diet soda could wreck a diet and throw off your appetite. My consumption of diet soda (in all it's variations) has increased exponentially over the last few years, so has my sweet tooth. Obviously they are related and it is definitely something worth thinking about more.


Had a pretty decent weekend, did something that I've never done before and always used to make fun of my brother for doing years ago, went to the movie solo. I wanted to see Inglorious Basterds, but my usual movie partners are hundreds of miles away, so I really had no other options. I wouldn't say it was a bad experience. I've always thought that movies were bad social outings anyway simply because you sit in a dark room and can't talk to each other, but it still never felt quite right being there alone, even if there were other solos. Its something I can get used to and I might make more of a habit of it... or I might not... we'll see how it goes. I've decided to stop making these grand pronouncements about how my life is going to be from now on. I need to learn to take things from moment to moment.



Episode 2 (season 3) of Mad Men last night wasn't a particularly interesting one, rather, I think it was a set-up episode for things that will happen in the future. Two key events: one the date of Roger Sterling's daughter's wedding was revealed to be November 23. I noticed the date and thought it was a bit odd, but the significance didn't hit me until I read about it later, November 23rd is the day that Kennedy was assassinated. That is obviously going to be the key historical event this season and a really, really BAD day to get married.



The second event was the last scene of the episode where the Draper family was at Sally's field day. Would almost seem like a throw away scene, but Don was staring awfully hard at the teacher with somewhat hippyish looks... and feeling around in the grass. I suspect California is on his mind again. Who knows where that will lead.



First day at my job today. I will report back on that later.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.