Saturday, August 8, 2009

Saurday August 8


Garage sales are an interesting cultural phenomenon aren't they? Why do people have them? Rarely do they ever make any sort of meaningful dent in their junk piles, nor do they ever make any money. They take lots of time and effort, not to mention you always have to get up freaking early in the morning. They also have a way of irritating your neighbors, espeically when the people who go to the garage sales think it's a good idea to park in front of the neighbor's driveway or in the middle of the street.

Another question is why people actually go to garage sales. I guess the idea is to save money, but I figure if you needed the item badly enough, you would buy it retail anyway and you wouldn't have bought it at all if you hadn't seen it at the garage sale. Sounds like that would waste more money than save it. Mabye 1% of the time is there truely something worth having a garage sale, most of the time, it's just a transfer of junk from one garage to another.

I had Friday off, which was nice because I rarely do. This will change once school starts again, though, when I will have way more days off than I will on, including Friday. But this summer it has been a novelty. I didn't really do anything interesting, most just sat around and watched movies. I watched REC, which is a Spanish original of the American movie Quarantine. I was undecided which one I actually was going to see, but I figure, go with the original, right? I liked it, and since I heard they are almost exactly the same, I see no real need to see the American. I also watched The Hudsucker Proxy by the Cohen Brothers. Strange flick, but good. Very much a Cohen Brothers movie.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.