Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Heavy month for exams, I had one last week, one this week and one next week. At least it isn't any of that 4 in one day shit like I sometimes had as an undergraduate. One a week is totally managable. Last week it was micro theory, which I feel pretty confident about. You never know for sure, but struggling so much on the homework was a good thing because it forced me to actually, you know, learn stuff, which is good to have on an exam. Econometrics, today, is another story. I think I'll ultimately do fine, but I'm not nearly as confident. I figure I get whatever grade I deserve because I didn't know the material that well. I just sort of memorized stuff. I figure I'm at about my limit for how much math and statistics my poor brain can take. Next week is my regulatory economics test, which I'm not too worried about.

Actually, I guess you could say I'm not really worried about any of them. Even though I don't think I did all that well on econometrics, it's like I don't even really care anymore. I guess that's what graduate school is supposed to be about, not worrying so much about grades and instead focusing on the material. I don't find econometrics horribly relevant and I'm not even sure why I took the advanced level (only the basic is required). I needed another class, but there was probably a better option out there.

The prediction I made a few weeks ago about Mad Men, and the now infamous lawn mower incident isn't coming to pass. I believed that it was going to be a turning point in the season story-arch, which had been non-existent, but in the 3 or 4 episodes since then, they haven't even mentioned it again. I guess it wasn't that important. But at least some sort of arch has developed with Conrad Hilton. I think Don's relationship with Hilton has changed him for the worse. He used to be mr. cool calm and collected but he seems a little more testy lately, almost angry, which was very evident in how he handled Sal's firing.

This last episode also provided an interesting contrast between the characters of Don and Betty Draper. Both were faced with a choice, cheat on their spouse when they are tempted, or don't? Don, naturally, did, but interstingely enough, Betty came to her senses and said "no". I think that adds a dimension to her that I wasn't sure existed.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.