Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cineacation # 3 Ace in the Hole and After Dark My Sweet

After several name changes, I decided to go with Cinemacation as the title for my series on Roger Ebert's Great Movies list.

Ace In the Hole


A story about corrupt journalism and a public who eats it up, Ace in the Hole is an indictment of everybody. Part of the movie's problem when it first came out was that the critics found it a bit too far fetched. I can't help but wonder, though, if it would get that same knock were it to come out today. Corrupt yes, but does it really seem THAT far off, especially considering the low esteem journalists are held in these days? The story is still relevant 50+ years later.




After Dark My Sweet


This whole movie I couldn't help but think that Jason Patric looks like Dennis Miller. That aside, though, his character, Collie, was amazingly complex. Was he crazy? Was he stupid? Was he both? It's hard to say. He spent the whole movie claiming he wasn't, but you have to wonder. In the first place, he'd have to be stupid to agree to a role in a rich kid kidnapping scheme (not sure where the film took place, but it definitely was NOT Juarez) to begin with. On the other hand, he was always two steps ahead of the other schemers and almost made the whole thing work. A very subtle performance by Patric and was very well done.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.