Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday September 22

A few random things today:

First, the Emmy's. When will this humping of 30 Rock end? The show is awful and not even in the same stratosphere as funny. The Academy's love for this show is pure and simple vanity, it is a somewhat popular show that is about them, so they eat it up. Pathetic. But I always thought the comedy awards were a joke anyway (no pun intended), so I guess it doesn't matter.

I thought Outstanding Drama was fiercely competitive this year. I think all the shows were equally worthy, but I was hoping that Breaking Bad would sneak in there a beat out Mad Men. It was not to be, though. On the flip side, though, I was hoping John Hamm (Mad Men) would beat Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) for best drama actor. Would somebody please give John Hamm an Emmy already! I was thrilled to see Cranston win last year and he was certainly worth this year, but comon already.

I was also not surprised to see Dexter get shut out again this year. Great show, but maybe just a tad too edgy for a major stage just yet. Maybe next year.

-----

One more quick note on Mad Men season 3. I was thinking about this the other day and, as of yet, a season story arch hasn't really developed yet. Basically, just a bunch of random things have been happening that don't really impact the story as a whole. This week, however, was a pretty amazing episode and one I think COULD be the start of this season's arch.

First, there is Don's meeting w/ Conrad Hilton. People saw this one coming when they first met each other a few weeks back and the then strange person mentioned San Antonio, NM, but not it has finally come to pass. What is going to happen w/ this relationship? A deal like Hilton could be huge for a place like Sterling-Cooper.

Second, there was the incident with the foot and the lawnmower. A British executive from Sterling-Cooper's corporate ownership had part of his foot cut off in a drunken office party involving a lawnmower IN THE OFFICE. Corporate had a particular, and not very interesting, re-structuring plan for Sterling-Cooper, but now needed to "re-evaluate". That's never good.

-----

I missed about half of the season of House last year because of a change in my school schedule, which made me sad, because I guess I missed a lot. No matter. I'm starting this season anew and don't foresee any interruptions. The 2 hour season premiere was interesting to say the least. You always kinda thought House belong in a crazy ward but you never 1) actually thought he would get put there and 2) actually co-operate to get out. Part of the charm of House is his misanthropy and if he really is changing his attitude, as the first episode suggests, it could be an entirely different show. Perhaps one that isn't as good. The show is in its 6th season, though, and you have to figure it won't be on much longer anyway.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.