Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thoughts on Roman Polanski

I'm a little annoyed by this whole Roman Polanski thing. The fact that so many people want to let him go isn't a surprise to me, that's what always happens when a celebrity gets caught, but the reasons are just pathetic!

1) He suffered a lot in his life and therefore has paid his dues: I won't deny that he's been through a lot in his life, but give me 10 prisoners in any state pen. and I will find 9 of them that have suffered equally. They have lost mothers, friends, brothers, sisters, whatever and many of them have lived extremely hard lives. Were they let off the hook? Certainly not. Anybody who suggests such a think would be laughed off the stage.

2) The victim has forgiven him and wants to move on: of course she did and of course she does. She had to for her own sanity, much in the same way that families of murder victims often forgive the killers. It's too hard to hold a grudge and easier to forget and move on. That doesn't make it right for society as a whole, however.

3) Suspect timing: ok, I'll concede this one. I don't really understand why they decided to proceed with this now. Polanski has been moving around Europe for 30 years now and it seems highly unlikely that this is the first time they knew where he was going. Hell, it wasn't even the first time he went to Switzerland. L.A. County is cash strapped, so it is a bit of a mystery why they would decide to go after him now.

4) Suspect prosecution: honestly, I don't know much about what went on at his trial. I only casually watched the Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired documentary, but I don't know that that should even matter at this stage. Many people in the system have had suspect prosecution and/or defense. Some get exonerated, some don't, but they all go through the proper channels within the system. Just because he is a great director doesn't mean he should get a free pass.

My overarching point is this: all of the reasons why Polanski should be freed could apply to almost any convict that they would never dream of letting go. But he is different, he directed Chinatown, after all.

Ultimately, I seriously doubt anything will happen to Polanski at this point. Somebody will step in and let him go free. I hate the idea, though. A guy commits a horrible crime, runs away to Europe like a little girl, then, because he's made a few good movies, gets a Get Out of Jail Free Card. Ah, what a country.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.