Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday September 7th

I don't know why the paragraphs on this blog come out so goofy so often. I guess it doesn't really matter, but hey, aesthetics are important, right?

Anyway, it's Labor Day. One of the things that I've been thinking about for the last few days is how this Labor Day compares to last year. This one has barely started, but I feel quite confident in saying that this year is going to be considerably better. Labor Day 2008 I was at San Juan Regional Medical Center getting chemo. My second round. I remember that particular treatment well because I didn't usually get my treatments there, but had to because of the holiday. I was reading Andrew Jackson's biography, ironically, a book I quit reading only got around to finishing this summer. I was fighting the fatigue really, really hard towards the end, but I actually liked getting treatment there because they were more willing to mix some of my drugs and get me done faster.

It feels like I've written this entry 3 or 4 times already, but it is an issue that keeps coming up, how important are grades in graduate school? I wonder because I struggled on some work this weekend and it took up way more mental energy than I feel it should. Intellectually, I know that they aren't as important as they are when you are an undergraduate, but I have a really obnoxious perfectionist streak in me and it rears its ugly head when I hit a difficult spot with my work. It eventually passes, as it has, but I need to condition myself out of this mind set. Grades have been my path to approval and given me my sense of self-worth and that's a very unhealthy attitude.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.