Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday April 20

My postings have been a little scant lately, largely because I've been real busy with the end of the semester wheelings and dealings, but also, I've just really had nothing to say. I did, however, post two things to the myspace blog this weekend.

First, and interesting little internet letter I picked up from one of Larry
Winget's books:

IF...
If you can start the day without caffeine,
If you can always be
cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring
people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food every day and be
grateful for it,
If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to
give you any
time,
If you can overlook it when those you love take it out
on you when through
no fault of yours, something goes wrong.
If you can
take criticism and blame without resentment,
If you can resist treating a
rich friend better than a poor friend,If you
can face the world without lies
and deceit,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can
relax without liquor,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,
If you
can honestly say that deep in your heart that you have no prejudice
against
creed, color, religion, gender preference, or politics,

Then you
have reached the same level of development as your dog.


This one struck me as in a particular way because I have so completely out of control with my bad habits lately.

One particular obsession casued me to write this poem....

It's the first thing I think about when I wake
up
the last thing I think about before
bed
the object of many
thoughts in between

It has put the world at my fingertips
yet made it impossible to escape it

It has given me constant companionship
yet made it impossible for me to be alone with
myself

It has provided me loads of information
yet much of it is false

It has given me an outlet for expressing
myself
yet has never forced me to look deeply at who I
am

Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Blogspot, online forums..... all this
friendship.....
yet I frequently still feel alone

The source of my obsessions
yet a collection point of everything I hold
dear

Can I live without it?

I have more to say on these issues, but it will have to wait for another entry

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.