Thursday, May 7, 2009

Review: Star Trek

I'll start by saying that I am not a Star Trek fan. In fact, in my twitter comments, I twice misspelled it. That out of the way, here's what I think:

The movie has been criticized by some critics (Ebert most notably) for being rather intellectually dry and sort of mindless This is a pretty fair criticism, because it kind of was, but frankly, does everything need to have some profound meaning? This is a movie made for the masses, not for the art house goon and in gearing towards that particular audience, it works.

The casting was nothing short of brilliant and relied on good old fashoned talent rather than star power. The great tragedy, however, was that Pegg had such a small role. He was a riot and stole every scene he was in. I bet that the next movies will have more of him. I didn't see any Shatner at all in Pine's Kirk, but in this case, it worked. He took the character and made it his own without really changing it too much.

Then there's Bana, who played Nero, the Romulan chief. Funny him staring in a well recieved reboot when he, in fact, was a large part of the reason that another franchise needed to be rebooted in the Hulk. Frankly, I've never been a huge fan, but he played it pretty straight in this one and was pretty convincing as a bad guy. I dugg the face tatts too.  

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and look forward to the rest of the series.

No comments:

What I'm Reading

The Return of The Great Depression by Vox Day

The Housing Boom and Bust by Thomas Sowell

Followers

About Me

A blog of my post-cancer life.